Saturday, September 11, 2010

Just like Daddy!

I have been in a frenzy scheduling all check ups for myself and my boys for the next few weeks so that we can get them out of the way before Anna arrives!  This past week, William and I went to see the pediatric ophthalmologist (who we love) for a check up on his hemangioma.  The great news is that the hemangioma is continuing to go down in size and it is definitely not growing.  That said, the doctors seem to have hoped for a faster decline rate at this point, so they have started W on a new drop to see if it helps . . . but, no one is worried.  It is going down, and that is great.  Please join us in continuing to pray for Jesus to fully heal our little man’s eye!

While we were there, William’s verbal skills proved strong enough that he was able to do a vision test.  He did a great job for the most part, but he was being feisty and would not cooperate when we had him try to do the test with only his left eye (the one with the hemangioma).  So, they dilated his eyes and did an eye exam to see if there was a change in his astigmatism (which is very commonly affected by hemangiomas).  The shocking news was that his astigmatism had disappeared!  But, he is far more far sighted out of his left eye than his right, so now William gets to be JUST LIKE DADDY and wear glasses!  The doctor is unsure of whether this vision problem is caused by the hemangioma, but glasses are necessary regardless . . . After trying on the few pair in Richmond that actually fit his tiny face, we realized this was going to be quite a battle: “NO GWASSES!  NO GWASSES, MOMMY!!”

(he is saying “cheeeeeeeese!” here . . . ha ha)

IMG_6195

So, per the optician’s advising, Hudson stayed with Sugie and Daddy, Mommy, and William had a special lunchtime picking up the new glasses.  Despite the fact that I used to make the boys’ baby food from scratch so that they would not have sugar overdose, I boldly went into the eye shop with a Vanilla Milkshake and Kids meal from McDonalds for my boy.  My theory?  I know he will sit still and drink a milkshake (which he called “COKE!”  . . . “More Coke, MOMMY!”—he has NEVER had coke!  Where does he get this stuff?) . . . and I thought that a french fry in each hand might prohibit him from grabbing the glasses off his face.  I would like to tell you that we were mostly successful!  YAY!

 IMG_6178

 IMG_6179

 IMG_6181

Because our appointment went so smoothly, we had extra time for a little picnic near the parking lot (lovely, I know, but this boy loves trucks and MANY a truck did we see!) with Daddy before he went back to work.

IMG_6185   IMG_6186

Enjoying our picnic!

IMG_6188

Even Mommy dug out her gwasses for the big day! IMG_6190

We brought W’s favorite book (thank you, Max and Neveah) so that he could look through it . . . who knows if things looked clearer to him or not, but he loved “reading” with his glasses on!  Aside from ripping them off while staring in the mirror or smearing his chubby fingers on them, he really wore them all day!  He did SUCH a great job—I really could not have asked for a better response.  Of course, we’ll see what tomorrow brings; but, today went wonderfully . . .  before bed, he said “Ni Night, Gwasses!”  Thank you, Lord! IMG_6191

And, I must report that his brother has been NOTHING but sweet . . . he has not talked about the glasses, he has not touched them, and he may not have even noticed them.  If the situation were reversed, we would have had to buy a fake pair to make it through the day. 

(this one is from July . . . )

IMG_1680

These boys are just so sweet! 

IMG_6187 

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Katie, Brett, and Charlie said...

what a handsome baby! he is the cutest little thing! he and shawn thomas will be so cute together in their gwasses!

thanks for lunch today! can't wait til dinner! please note: aunt katie is wearing her gwasses today for william too.

lots of love!

The Fifes said...

William is such a PRECIOUS boy! I love his new glasses and what a fun time with mommy and daddy at his own picnic. Great book - Connor has that one too! Shannon, you look amazing as always. Blessings to the 5 of you!

Elizabeth Johnson Phillips said...

I thought it was impossible for William to get any cuter. Apparently, I was wrong.

Claire said...

William is such a beautiful little boy, and he looks so cute in his glasses! Hope to see y'all soon!

Post a Comment